Tuesday, January 1, 2013

last of the old, 1st of the new

I    was    so    sore  after Saturday! Yikes!

Laurence and I had an appt on Sun re: the cabin in So Bristol. With all the snow blowing and shoveling here, we knew that the trek to the cabin would be through tons of snow on that steep hill, so that's what we did! It wasn't as hard going as I though it would be, more just beautiful looking out over the water to the snow covered pine trees across the cove.
I did lots of mobility with my field hockey ball and my roller on Sunday night. That helped a lot. Felt much less sore on Mon.
Still, I was in the gym on Monday early enough before my Foundations to get some time on the rower to try work out more of the soreness. Then I did some skill: strict pull ups, kipping pull ups, a few handstand negatives (I had nothing in me to push up or kip up!) and some DU sets of 5.  I kept them small and did 10 of them.  I didn't go 10 sets in a row, sad as that sounds, but they felt better today than they have in a long time.  I just needed to keep them at that mental positive level.
 
me
 After I got home, Laurence and I went cross country skiing.  We were at the golf course and had to break our own trails, but it was beautiful...we tallied about 3 miles after looping and zigzagging....and on the way back we had the benefit of our already blazed trails!

My legs and breath were absolutely fine. My traps and upper scaps were pretty challenged.


laurence


All of the DOMS I experienced over the last few days were actually quite good for me.  They always remind me that finding my intensity will always be ongoing.  Sometimes I lose sight of my current focus (training to make another trip back to the Games) so when my own ass is kicked by my own efforts, I'm pretty happy...even if I sound like a sick puppy when rolling or doing trigger point work with a ball! hahaha
I'm very aware how close the Opens are now.  The turning of the calendar to January has that effect on me!



I had the final part of the Foundations today so I was into the gym doing some stretching.  Today's focus was squat work, so it was also a good warm up for me. When I was done and moved onto my own workout, I did some skill OHS work, some PP work (trying to focus on the timing of the push upward at the time of full hip opening) and then did tomorrow's programmed WOD for Beacon. It was quick and quad-dirty.  Oh man, was it quad-dirty!!
FT:
40 goblet squats (35#)
run 6 lengths of the gym (approx 150m)
20 gob squats
run 4 lengths of the gym (approx 100m
10 gob squats
run 2 lengths of the gym (approx 50m)
3:57
This was awful! I knew the run would be hard because of the squats, but after wt'd gob squats...haha, I thought I was going to take a digger the whole first length after each squat count. 
It also created a WOD cough, usually reserved for burpees or Fran!
I never put the bell down, but paused at 27 and 32 on the first round, 7 and 13 on the second round, and UB on the third.
Right onto a roller on my quads afterward. 
 
Looking forward to getting back to a more normal schedule tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment