Friday, October 19, 2012

slow deads

I had a couple realizations today before and during my workouts.

First and best, I woke up this morning feeling better than I have felt in a long time, both physically and mentally.  Not being balanced physically threw me off mentally so I knew I needed to adjust both to regain my balance. Feels much better to be in this place than in a constant place of frustration.

Second, because of the above, I am also being much more proactive in my physical recovery, even from a hard WOD.  Ice packs and heat packs are frickin' awesome! :)

Third, I know exactly what I have to work on to regain my PLUs/T2Bs/K2Es.  My core is strong, but while demoing a couple of kipping PLUs for a private today, I was again surprised at my lack of grip strength, specifically on my right side. After the session, I went and played around with the PLU bar.  I feel the need to regain lat strength as well. So rather than be frustrated, I am just going at it as strengthening those areas anew.
And, of course, I realized today that because I am still without full feeling in my middle two fingers on my right side, I do have a bit of a grip issue.  All will come back when those lats get effing awesome again!  Banded strict PLUs sets to continue!  I can still do a couple of unassisted underhanded PLUs, just not overhanded...yet. 

Fourth, I need tricep strengthening too!

Fifth, I noticed that my grip effected my ability to hold the bar for the deadlift sets I did today too.  I usually reverse grip with my left over, right under. I think I'll play with that and try the opposite next time.

SO, all that said:

A1) DL 40x1 4x4 @ 155#
These went well, smoothly. I could have gone a little heavier. The last couple of set 4 on the 4 second down were tough only because my right grip was weakening, not because anything felt too heavy.

*I'm still learning how to wt these movements in relation to the lift protocol Coach is having me use. I'll get bolder... :)

A2) 3 rds @ 80% of:
7 HPC (I chose 65# using the 45# bar so since the grip is bigger, I didn't want to drop the weight)
5 T2B (Couldn't hold the grip on the PLU bar, and wanted more core work than reg sits, so I did wt'd: 15# slamball held to my chest)
7 PUs (I got through rd 1 okay, but I realized my triceps need to regain strength too, so I frustratingly had to do knee PUs on sets 2&3)
2:57
*Again, I'm on a learning curve as to things like "80%".  Not sure where that is with me.  Too slow today? Maybe. Not too fast.

~~rested 2 hrs 50mins

B)20 min row, easy pace
I was not really into this today.  I didn't eat enough and I'm sure that's why I felt so utterly lethargic on the rower. I stopped  once and then had to get back to it.
2:20 pace   damper @6   4226m   mental game today!

I'll make time for something tomorrow. I coach in the morning then head to MA in the aft. I'll be attending a Mobility Cert on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment